Finland has eleven national and three regional sports training centres, i.e. sports institutes (colleges of physical education). The Ministry of Education and Culture provides support to the operation of these institutes.
Sports institutes are liberal adult education institutions and national sports training centres. They provide vocational upper secondary and vocational further education and training as well as non-formal education for youths and adults.
Some of the institutes are included in the sports academy network and serve as coaching centres for athletes. Their purpose is to support athletes in combining studies and training.
Sports institutes also provide training for sports club instructors, coaches and staff in cooperation with sport and physical activity organisations.
The institutes receive government financing based on their educational task. Funding is allocated in the form of central government transfers, which mainly derive from national lottery and betting proceeds.
Sports training centres may also be granted discretionary government aid for development projects and the construction of sports facilities.
Sports training centres:
- Eerikkilä Sports Institute
- Eastern Finland Sport Institute
- Kisakallio Sports Institute
- Kuortane Olympic Training Center / South Ostrobothnia Sports Academy
- Santasport Olympic Training Center / Lapland Sports Academy
- Pajulahti Sports Institute / Päijät-Häme Sports Academy
- Norrvalla Sports Institute
- Solvalla Sports Institute
- Sports Institute of Finland / Päijät-Häme Sports Academy
- Finnish Sport Aviation Institute
- Tanhuvaara Sports Institute / South Savo Sports Academy
- Kisakeskus Sports Institute
- Varala Sports Institute / Tampere Sports Academy
- Virpiniemi Sport Institute
- Vuokatti Sports Institute / Vuokatti-Ruka Sports Academy
Hannu Tolonen, Senior Officer
Ministry of Education and Culture, Nuoriso- ja liikuntapolitiikan osasto (NUOLI), Division for Sport Telephone:0295330314
Samuli Rasila, Senior Officer
Ministry of Education and Culture, Nuoriso- ja liikuntapolitiikan osasto (NUOLI), Division for Sport Telephone:0295330057