Policies concerning libraries
Libraries provide all Finns with equal access to information and culture. The Ministry of Education and Culture is responsible for the national library policy in Finland.
The Ministry aims to ensure that library and information services are versatile and easily available in the local communities all over the country. Library collections contain both printed and electronic materials.
Public Libraries Act aims to promote:
- equal opportunities foe everyone to access education and culture,
- availability and use of information,
- reading culture and versatile literacy skills,
- opportunities for lifelong learning and competence development, and
- active citizenship, democracy and freedom of expression.
Sense of community, pluralism and cultural diversity are the values on which the implementation of the above mentioned objectives is based.
In addition to statutes, the Government Programme and the action plans for its implementation also include policies and objectives concerning libraries.
Leena Aaltonen, Kulttuuriasiainneuvos
OKM, Kulttuuri- ja taidepolitiikan osasto (KUPO), Taiteen ja kulttuuriperinnön vastuualue (TAKU) Telephone:0295330344
Minna Karvonen, Head of Unit, Director
OKM, Kulttuuri- ja taidepolitiikan osasto (KUPO), Taiteen ja kulttuuriperinnön vastuualue (TAKU) Telephone:0295330142