Organisation of the Ministry of Education and Culture
The Minister makes decisions on the most important issues at the Ministry.
Minister of Education Li Andersson heads the Ministry. In accordance with the division of responsibilities agreed by the Government, she is responsible for early childhood education and care, general education and vocational education and training.
Minister of Science and Culture Annika Saarikko is responsible for matters related to the Department of Art and Culture Policy and the Department of Youth and Sport Policy, including student financial aid. She is also responsible for science policy, higher education policy and religious affairs.
State Secretaries Minna Kelhä and Tuomo Puumala assist ministers in political steering and planning.
The Permanent Secretary Anita Lehikoinen directs the activities of the Ministry of Education and Culture together with the Minister. The duties of the Permanent Secretary include monitoring of the preparation of matters at the Ministry and attending to the internal activities of the Ministry.
Departments and units of the Ministry of Education and Culture
The Ministry of Education and Culture has:
- Department for Early Childhood Education, Comprehensive School Education and Liberal Adult Education
- Department for General Upper Secondary Education and Vocational Education and Training
- Department for Higher Education and Science Policy
- Department for Art and Cultural Policy
- Department for Youth and Sport Policy
The Ministry’s common functions are attended to by
- Administrative Unit
- Finance Unit
- Secretariat for International Relations
- Communications Unit
The Ministry’s Rules of Procedure contain a more detailed description of the duties of the different departments and units.