Data protection and processing of personal data at the Ministry of Education and Culture
The Ministry of Education and Culture needs personal data to provide services and to perform its tasks. We only process personal data on lawful basis for reasons such as customer service and communications. We store personal data for the period of time required for the processing.
With regard to the processing of personal data, in its role as the data controller and for the purpose of informing the data subjects the Ministry complies with the principles and obligations laid down in the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 and the Personal Data Act (1050/2018), supplementary to the Regulation.
As the Ministry is a data controller, data subjects have the right to obtain from the Ministry information as to whether their personal data is processed. Data subjects also have the right to ask to see their personal data. If data is inaccurate or out of date, data subjects have the right to request rectification or restricted processing. Data subjects who think that their data is not processed on lawful basis have the right to make a complaint to the Data Protection Ombudsman.
The Ministry's privacy notices provide information on the more specific purposes and bases for processing personal data and on the rights of data subjects:
- SALAMA document management system (PDF) Processing of personal data in the SALAMA document management system (register, digital archive, customer register, customer service for government grant applications).
- Remuneration payments (PDF)
- Processing of personal data provided for Webropol surveys (PDF)
- Traveller profile and personal data in travel expenses (PDF)
- Personal data processed on Twitter (PDF)
- Ministry of Education and Culture’s Privacy Notice for data subjects: personal data processed in a sample selected for a twoyear pre-primary education trial (PDF)
- Personal data to be processed for the main event of the Ministry of Education and Culture
during the Finnish Presidency of the Nordic Council of Ministers on 8 and 9 June 2021
More information about the processing of personal data at the Ministry
You can request to have access to your personal data stored in the Ministry’s services by filling in an access request form and sending it to the Registry.
If you notice inaccuracies or errors in your data, you can ask that they be corrected. You can ask the Ministry in writing to erase your data.
If you need more information on how the Ministry processes your personal data, please write to the Ministry’s Data Protection Officer at okmtietosuojavastaava(at)minedu.fi.
For more information on the processing of personal data and data subjects’ rights, visit the Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman’s website.