Organisation of the Ministry of Education and Culture
Minister of Education Sanni Grahn-Laasonen and Minister for European Affairs, Culture and Sport Sampo Terho are responsible for issues within the mandate of the Ministry of Education and Culture in accordance with the division of responsibilities agreed by the Government. The Minister makes decisions on the most important issues at the Ministry.
The Permanent Secretary Anita Lehikoinen directs the activities of the Ministry of Education and Culture together with the Minister. The duties of the Permanent Secretary include monitoring of the preparation of matters at the Ministry and attending to the internal activities of the Ministry.
Departments and units of the Ministry of Education and Culture
The Ministry of Education and Culture has:
- Department for General Education and Early Childhood Education
- Department for Vocational Education and Training
- Department for Higher Education and Science Policy
- Department for Art and Cultural Policy
- Department for Youth and Sport Policy
- Unit for Upper Secondary School Reform
The Ministry’s common functions are attended to by
- Administrative Unit
- Finance Unit
- Secretariat for International Relations
- Communications Unit
The Ministry’s Rules of Procedure contain a more detailed description of the duties of the different departments and units.